Thursday, May 16, 2013

flora and fowl

gardenia

pileated woodpecker
black bellied whistling ducks
brown pelican 
in flight
semipalmated sandpiper
gaillardia blanketflower on the beach

I saw many birds and flowers during my trip.

The Gardenia is from a bush in the backyard and smelled heavenly.
I brought home a small bag of blooms and will run a dye bath with them.

Each morning I took my coffee to the back porch and watched
for the neighborhood pair of Pileated Woodpeckers
They are as large as crows with a flaming red crest and a very distinct call.
Un fortunately, I only managed a poor photo of this bird.

The Black Bellied Whistling ducks are not common to Florida,
they are generally found in Central and South America.
What a treat to see these upright ducks and hear their whistling call!

I also heard a Barred Owl in the backyard, spotted a
spectacular Swallow-tailed Kite while on a drive
and watched Osprey circle their nests.

So much to see.
Missing birdsong filled mornings on the porch...

No comments:

Post a Comment